Pages

Tuesday 18 February 2014

My Weekly Hair Care Routine

Not professing to be Rapunzel, or to have hair like a Remy Human Hair Wig, but just telling you lovelies what I do to my hair on a weekly basis to cut frizz and style my hair.
Products Used:
  • Shampoo: 
    • Luster’s Pink Moisturizing Shampoo - not sulfate free, but I only use this rarely and it does make my hair SUPER soft – smells like bubblegum. 
    • Tresemme Keratin Infused Shampoo - also not sulfate free but doesn't noticeably dry out my hair.
  • Conditioner: Nothing But Cleansing Conditioner - sulfate free & pretty cheap, and does the job although it doesn’t lather I find sometimes if I have a ton of build up it doesn’t get rid of it  quite as effectively as I want.
  • Styling Product: DAX Wave and Groom Hair Dress – this was my boyfriends, and it smelled yummy so I stole it. Like this for up-dos (use on days close to when you’re going wash your hair – pretty thick)
  • Leave In Conditioner: African Pride Shea Butter Miracle Leave In: This makes my hair SO soft. Bought this in December and it’s so huge it’s still going. Cheap too and practically all natural.
Day 1:
First off, I finger detangle & brush my hair through with a paddle brush to remove tangles.On ‘wash day’ I may wash my hair with either of the shampoos above, and get out the shower and put in my leave in conditioner.
If not, I (as I’ve been doing more recently) use a baking soda and vinegar rinse.After I’m finished washing/rinsing my hair, I get out and quickly just make sure my parting is in place etc. as I don’t really need to comb again. Then I squeeze out the excess water from my hair and dry a little with a t-shirt.
I apply a little (emphasis on little) drop of olive oil and rub it between my hands and apply to the ends of my hair. I flip my head over, scrunch my hair and shake the excess water out of my hair. I find that this gives my curls shine and volume. At this stage my hair is a little damp and it’s ESSENTIAL not to touch it unless applying styling products in order to avoid frizz.
Usually at night I would just pull my back in to a pony-tail or a braid and sleep like that..

Day 2: 
I take my hair down, and just lightly spritz water on any frizzy parts, flip , shake and go out the door.
At night, I dampen my hair in the shower, brush through it and apply a VERY small amount of coconut oil through out it concentrating on the ends. After this, depending on how much volume I want I either put my hair in a pineapple, or braid in a simple plait.
I repeat this process for the next 2-3 days usually, and I may do varying  minimal manipulation styles such as wearing headbands, or twisting/braiding my bangs out of the way.

Day 6: 
Usually I like to have my hair in a bun on Thursdays/Fridays. When I do a ‘sock/donut’ bun I use my bristle brush to smooth down the hairs and apply DAX hair dress to smooth down my hairs. This product leaves my hair shiny and smooth, and if any fly- aways occur I can simply smooth them back into place.
I find that this product kind of stays in your hair, so the next day I usually do an up-do too, such as a halo twisted up-do, a bun etc.
When I come home I find that I like to do a 2-strand twist out on damp hair with my leave in conditioner, and coconut oil as a sealant. I usually sleep in a satin headscarf this night to allow my hair to stay moisturized.
On Saturday mornings, I take down my twists ( I don’t care about frizz), and do a hot oil/egg deep conditioning mask. I have a video showing this process here. I let the mixture sit in my head for around an hour whilst I potter about the house or sit on the internet, and then I wash it out.

*EXCEPTIONS
This routine works out okay for my hair type when I’m not working out. If I work out, I wash my hair 2x weekly at least, sometimes co-washing in between. I just don’t want my hair to smell sweaty, but it’s possible to go longer in between washes even whilst working out if that is your preference.
Also, if I find I have product build-up e.g. from doing an up-do earlier in the week, I may co-wash  around Wednesday       (co wash = wash with conditioner).

What my hair looks like after air drying with no product in it.
DSCN1087


1 comment:

  1. Hi! I would like to open beauty salon. Does anybody have an experience in this business? There are too many options in different salon equipment. Could anybody give me an advise? What store is more reliable to buy Autoclave accessories and Autoclave bags. I'm choosing between Advance-Esthetic.Com and Advance-esthetic.us websites.

    ReplyDelete

I read and get back to every single comment you leave. Thank you for making my day!